Thursday, November 22, 2007

Dana's Diary from Iraq Thursday 9:40pm Iraq time



Happy Thanksgiving from Al Asad!! Another busy day here in Iraq. It was pretty much business as usual for the men and women in uniform here. There were no 96 hour liberties, or even a single day off. There was, however, an USO show at 1pm today that some of the troops were allowed to attend. You know the guy that plays Fez on That 70;s Show? He was there as well as some model named Myra.

Something I was VERY surprised about was the Thanksgiving Day spread at the dining facility. It was magnificent! Be sure and check out the photos of the sculptures, cakes, and more. There were over 15,000 meals served today and the food was delicious. It may not have been as good as mom's, but they served roasted and baked turkey, all the trimmings, plus prime rib and Cornish hen. There were all kinds of
pies and desserts and a ton of bread. The troops seemed pleased.

Today I toured the air wing of the base where the helicopter squadrons are. I once again ran into many men and women who received their training in Pensacola. I actually met two gentlemen who graduated from our area. One was from Pace and the other was from Tate. They were excited to share their Pensacola memories with me.

Col. Caveman Holzworth made it out to check on me and spend a little time with me. Seeing him talk with his Marines is so awesome. You can almost see the inspiration on there faces. He captures them and they respect him. He is such an asset here in Iraq.

Many of the guys and gals had a little free time today to play some sports, cards, hackey sack, and football. Speaking of football, as usual that was the Thanksgiving talk at most of the dining tables. Ahhhh….just like at home.

Tomorrow I continue my journey with a stop in Kuwait for a few days. My mission? To track down and talk to our deployed sailors serving at a Navy Hospital there. I also will be speaking with members of Battalion 11 whose stories we have been following for months.

As my Thanksgiving Day comes to an end, I want to ask something of all of you. I want you to give your family the biggest hug EVER! Tell them how much you love them and how much you appreciate them. It is hard to be away from my family today, but it makes me realize that perhaps I take them for granted all too often. Please say a prayer for our troops serving over here in Iraq and all over the world. I know now
how much they are sacrificing to do the job they are doing so well.

Thank you and God Bless.
Happy Thanksgiving to you all!
Dana

3 comments:

kathi mcdonald said...

Hi Dana,
Thank you for all the information you are giving us. It is nice to hear how things are going on daily over there. Thanks for the reminder to let us all know NOT to take things or people for GRANTED as everyday is precious and we are so lucky to be here in the USA. I will be watching for you on tv tonight at 10:00.

kathi mcdonald said...

You are not missing out on warm weather here as it is 44 degrees here in Pensacola right now! Have a good day.

Vickey Yale said...

Dana,
First and foremost, I would like for you to continue to tell the troops how thankful we are for what they do!! Also, I would like to tell you how thankful I personally am, for you doing what you are doing!! You are taking time away from your own family, to go over and do this!! I give you not only kudoos but I take my hat off to you!! You are absolutely amazing! I am really upset that I have not been able to see you on tv or actually hear you on the radio, but I am really glad that you are posting!! It really is making my day to come on here and hear about the trip!! I along with other people, has taken not only our friends and family for granted, but I have tried to stop that. We never know how long we have with them and that makes a big difference!! If I could go over to your family and personally tell them how much I appreciate all that you do I would!! I just want to end this with saying....I am so proud of you...the troops and I am most of all THANKFUL!! Hope each and everyone of you have a Happy Thanksgiving, and get home soon to the wonderful USA that love you all!!!

Love and miss you bunches,
Vickey