Sunday, November 25, 2007

Dana’s Diary Saturday 9pm Kuwait time



Today was a fantastic day! I made it through the night ok in my primitive tent. There was some sort of windstorm that made the tent “walls” flap a lot. Every time they did I thought someone was trying to come in my tent. Oh yeah…did I tell you they don’t lock anyway? Nothing like being alone in a tent in a strange country in a war zone and not being able to lock yourself in. Needless to say, I slept with a flashlight in my hand all night I guess I thought I would just shine them to death. Where’s MY M-16??? Everyone else has one!!

I had to leave one camp to get to another. The camp I am staying on is Army-run. The camp where I found Battalion 11 is a Kuwait base which has allowed us to “set up” camp there as well. They were not as pleased to have me there. I was detained coming through the checkpoint for about 35 minutes, but it turned out to be a paperwork glitch. Oh, I HAVE to mention…I think it is safer to be on the battlefield than it is to drive on the roads in Kuwait!! These people are out of their minds! I am not exaggerating when I tell you that the average rate of speed on the highways is 95 mph. It is nuts! Truly scary.

It is not unusual to have lines of cars wiz by you at 120 mph. The traffic accidents are frequent and most often fatal. You don’t see many kids in seatbelts either.

My visit with Battalion 11 was fantastic! They were very happy to see me and send their messages home. I look forward to getting those sent over to Brent to play so you all can hear for yourselves. They are doing very well and working so hard everyday. They are cargo handlers which is not an easy job. Their morale is good and they miss everyone back home very much. They hear how we are playing their stories back on the morning show and say that their families look forward to hearing them each time.

I am off now to try to find a call center to call home to my kids and also to find some internet so that I can post some stuff for you all. Again, thank you to all those who have taken the time to send an email to me while I have been away. You don’t know how much it means to stay connected to home.

Tomorrow I will try to find some Individual Augmentees serving here in Kuwait and then get ready for the “Hurry up and wait,” process of getting home. Keep those prayers coming…it has worked so far!

Dana

1 comment:

Vickey Yale said...

Dana,
As always, my thoughts and prayers go to not only you but also the troops!! Looks like you are doing well over there!! I am sorry to hear that you had to sleep with a flash light all night long!! I don't understand why they would give you an M-16 either!! Anyways, can't wait for you to get back home!! We all miss you very much!!