Monday, November 19, 2007

In Baghdad, Iraq

It was great to finally leave Kuwait after being there 12 hours. I got on a huge C17 with about 22 others. Some military, some contractors...and me. It was a loud flight but we had earplugs. It was really cool though. It reminded me of being inside the belly of a huge whale.

When we landed, we headed into theprocessing center at BIAP...Baghdad International Airport. There was some sort of fire warning in effect, so we had to stand out in the cold until things were clear. I was manifested on a helo that was leaving less than an hour later. I boarded the helicopter with a few others and embarked on a short 10 minute flight to IZ (International Zone.) From there, I went to the Embassy to wait for a CPIC rep to come get me. CPIC is Compined Press Information Center. It is where all reporters have to come to get creditialed befroe being able to report anywhere in Iraq. There is an extensive screening process which includes biometrics..scanning of the eyeball, fingerprints etc... I finally have my pass and now just have to wait for ANOTHER military flight which is going to AL Asad. Probably not until tomorrow. Yikes! There are beds here and weird looking showers so maybe I can get cleaned up and rest.

I can't believe I am not in Al Asad yet...but I am getting closer!

5 comments:

kathi mcdonald said...

Hey Dana,
Here is your "LETTER FROM HOME".You are missed and loved very much. I am sure your family is so proud of you. We all are. There is nothing like a good shower and some rest which I hope you get soon. That will raise your spirits. Have a great time as it will go by too fast. Take care and be safe.

Mary Snyder said...

Hey Dana,

So good to hear your voice this morning. Just wanted to let you know that you are in my thoughts and prayers. The CAT PACK isn't the same with you gone, I think Brent and Jim had to get their own coffee. Give all the troops hugs and kisses and all our thanks. I know God will Bless you and keep you safe.

Mary Snyder

RadioTodd said...

Dana, You've been inside a huge whale before? :) Hope everything is going well overseas. You are rocking! Stay safe over there! - Todd

Mark H said...

Dana,
Your fellow LeaP classmates are proud of you. Let the troops know that we appreciate their service and anxiously await their safe return home.

Mark

Vickey Yale said...

Dana, I want to make sure that I understood you correct....You have been inside a whale belly before!! How cool is that? Hopefully you will be able to clean up and get some sleep soon!! Please, keep posting to us!! We love hearing from you!!! Take care and hurry up home!!