Saturday, November 17, 2007

En route....still!

So...more than 24 hours after my departure from Pensacola, I am ALL THE WAY TO.......Atlanta. The military is very strict about having their manifests (list of passengers) all turned in to Kuwait several hours before departure. I missed the cut-off time and had to be booked on the next flight out which is 24 hours later.

Right now I am waiting at the airport and continuing to prepare myself mentally for what lies ahead. I stood in line at the military flight counter with about 100 Army soldiers who are returning to the desert after spending 18 days here in the states with their loved ones. Their faces are somewhat somber, as you may imagine, but there is also a look of " I'm ready to return to my mission." Most of these men and women are serving a 1 year deployment and find comfort in the fact they only have "7 months left," or "half way through!"

Something that brought tears to my eyes and really warmed my heart, was the response from the people travelling in the airport. Many have come up to the line to say thank you or to take pictures of the men and women in uniform. The soldiers are receptive and seem appreciative.

The USO here in Atlanta seems to be quite active as well. An older woman , clearly a volunteer, led another group of soldiers to the holding area. She was dressed in red,white,and blue and was waving an American flag as she walked on front of the line.

The majority of these soldiers are reservists. They are leaving their everyday jobs and family to spend the next year overseas. To me, this seems like it would be very difficult. You know, to have to adjust from civilian life to military life at the drop of a hat.

Everyone has been very nice to me and really happy to talk. I am confident that there will be a lot of stories to tell from the great bid sandbox once I finally arrive.

Talk to you soon!
Dana

2 comments:

kathi mcdonald said...

Hi Dana,

You have begun your adventure of a lifetime! No changing your mind now. lol We are so proud of you. We already miss you and are looking forward to your safe return. Again we are so proud of you and respect your heroism in taking this adventure.

Thanks again.

Kathi McDonald

Vickey Yale said...

Hey Dana,
We are already missing you!! I will be keeping you and all the soldiers in my thoughts and prayers until each and everyone of you return safe and sound at home!! As you begin this lifetime loving experience, remember one thing....It is so great to be an American. I am really proud of you and look up to you because of what you are doing!! I think it is great!! We love you very much!!

Love and thinking of you always,
Vickey Yale